Portfolio Link

Should you be interested in viewing a more "formal" portfolio site, please visit: http://www.carlverster.com

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Explaining the unexplainable

Mercia has asked me to make sure I have a few words to say at the "Songs on the Eve of Destruction" opening.
Anyone who knows me well knows that I am not a natural 'showman'. I don't like being the center of attention, especially when having to share something personal.  One on one conversation I can do, put me in front of a panel though and I hate it.  It's not that I don't speak well.  Actually I am a pretty good public speaker. It's just that I would far rather be the guy in the background.  Ask me to write the content for the lecture, let me be the speech writer, dont ask me to expose myself.  And yet, that is exactly what I am doing with this exhibition isn't it? Exposing myself. I don't like that; but if I don't do it it renders this whole thing pointless doesn't it?
So, I find myself writing an introduction; trying to explain what I have been doing, trying to achieve with these paintings, and what they mean to me and are trying to say. The difficulty is in saying too much, or saying too little. I can't be fully honest and I don't want to give too many clues, but I also have to give viewers enough hooks that they don't stand there with a big '?' hovering over their heads.

I have started drafting something. I hope it makes sense and hangs together.

No comments: