Portfolio Link

Should you be interested in viewing a more "formal" portfolio site, please visit: http://www.carlverster.com

Friday, June 11, 2010

Stretching Myself

This week has been an intesting one for me.
Virtually oblivious to the FIFA world cup celebrations and deafening vuvuzelas being trumpeted around me I have been getting my head around what I have gotten myself into.

It hadn't escaped my notice that I agreed to doing an exhibition at a time when I have exactly zero paintings in stock, at a time when I have just stepped up responsibilities in my day job, at a time when I am more alone than I have ever been in my life and have what amounts to a few weeks to get it all together, especially if the work is to be anywhere near dry by deadline. So, in my usual fashion I began processing.
Things to do:
  • Decide what I want to say with the work ... what will the subject matter be?
    • Well ... that took me 3 days of contemplation. I know what I want to achieve, what I want to say. Who I want to say it to. It's going to be difficult. It will be a challenge. No ... I won't be telling you what I am doing until it's done. :) But I do hope you love the concept.
  • Decide on an exhibition theme and title.
    • Once I had worked out what I wanted to paint, the title was easy. I sat with it on my mind for a day and night to make sure it worked. I felt it did. "Songs on the Eve of Destruction". Sold the idea to Mercia. She bought it once I'd explained my thinking ... but then, she may have just been being polite ;) Do you like it? I believe you do. Maybe it will make more sense when you see the work.
  • Get thumbs up from my fabulous hostess.
    • See above
  • How many pieces?
    • Okay ... this one scared me a bit ... if I work out how many I need and divide that by the time I have available, I need to have started work sometime back in Feb! Best I get cracking!
  • Get canvases.
    • This would never usually have been a challenge. I had a super supplier who then dropped off the face of the earth. I eventually reached his wife. He has been diagnosed with serious cancer. She is taking huge strain ... poor old dear. I managed to secure a roll of primed canvas and have been stretching my own canvases for the last three nights. My fingers are bleeding, but they look good ... the canvases, not my fingers!
    • Stock up on oils 
      • Tick!
    • Paint, paint, paint ...
      • and so it begins.  
    Listening to some beautiful classical music.

        3 comments:

        Emily said...

        I'm rather curious to see what you come up with. :3 Good luck!

        Carl said...

        Thank you Emily. Always nice to hear from you.

        Carl said...

        By the way ... that picture ... that's not ALL the canvases I will complete for "Songs ...". Yess there are more. 8\
        Bitten off more than I can chew? We will see...