Portfolio Link

Should you be interested in viewing a more "formal" portfolio site, please visit: http://www.carlverster.com

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

You really can.

You really can achieve anything you set your heart to doing! You can!

If you are serious about something, passionate about it, are prepared to sacrifice for it, you can! You can come up with excuses as to why you have not, or will not (you've been denied this or were stopped by that) but they really are just excuses. Those who are determined overcome the obstacles and pursue their passions regardless ... seek their goals relentlessly. Yes, it may be harder for some than others, but it is YOUR decision to do or not do. Yours!
Don't place the blame on circumstances, others, history ... whatever. Don't be a victim. Make the decision and accept that the decision was yours if you choose not to chase that dream.

No ... I'm not taking up a career in motivational speaking ... I just thought you might like to hear the speeches I give myself to get out of bed in the morning.

Carl:
  • is watching this.
  • is listening to the rain outside my window.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good speach makes sense for a non motivational speaker! but some dreams are not as easy to give up on, yet are still unobtainable no matter how passionate and determined a person is... that's just one of the curved balls life tends to throw at us!

Carl said...

Who decides whether a dream is unobtainable? When does one give up? If it's a dream worthy of pursuit then it IS worthy of pursuit. Nobody knows whether dreams are unobtainable or not without striving for them, and striving for them and striving for them. I choose to believe that dreams are not dead until I give up on them ... but if I did give up on them, that doesn't mean it was unobtainable ... it just means that I chose not to find out whether it was attainable or not. I've resolved not to give up on dreams ... heck, that's one of the reasons I paint, and write and run and ride and ... and ... and.

Let me give you an example of what I mean. I was talking to someone the other day who told me that they knew that they could have been a good writer or artist if they had been given a chance, but now it was too late. They listed a number of 'reasons' why they had been thwarted ... life circumstances that had 'prevented' them from becoming what they were born to do. They were tough breaks no doubt ... alcoholic parents, broken marriage etc. Sad stuff to be sure. But my response was less than sympathetic. Firstly, this person was speaking as if they were dead ... that their life was over. This was a retired person, who probably has another 20 years of being able to do exactly what they want! Sure it wouldn't be easy to start an art career at 60, but guess what. Others have done it! Google Grandma Moses. She started a prolific art career in her 70s! Secondly their life had been hard, sure, but man, everyone has it hard. Half the worlds greatest authors and artists lead lives significantly harder than this person. They complained about no time ... but they sleep 8-10 hours a night and are not employed! Not all of us are blessed with insomnia, but man, surely if you want to find time badly enough you will? My point is this ... some routes are really hard and you will suffer for taking them, BUT if that's what it takes to achieve your goal, only YOU can decide if the suffering is worth it.
Giving up on dreams is the worst type of tragedy.
Long blabber, I'm sorry. :)

jinan said...

I needed that today

Carl said...

Happy to have contibuted Jinan. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. :)