Portfolio Link

Should you be interested in viewing a more "formal" portfolio site, please visit: http://www.carlverster.com

Friday, April 9, 2010

Battery Powered Hamsters

I have a studio full of blank canvases at the moment ... blank canvases and uncanvassed frames.  Then add the four WIPs. That equates to about 30 paintings that I could be doing but am not.
"Why?" you ask ...and I know you ask not necessarily because you want to know, but because it is the polite thing to do. (Well good for you. Your Mom would be proud. Raising such a polite person...)

The truth is I'm not sure.  I just can't paint right now and I'm not sure why. I stand in front of my easel and there is nothing ... just nothing! It feels terrible ... hollow ... I slept over ten hours the night before last and I still feel exhausted. I mean honestly! 10 hours!  That's more sleep in one night than I usually manage in a year or two!
I just feel so vacant too ... like there is nothing inside me ... the little motivation hamster inside me is dead and the wheel isn't even rocking! Maybe it needs new batteries?
It's really weird.
I really NEED to get my head back in the game. Aside from commitments in terms of commissions etc. I know that it's good for me.

Bottom line? I know what you're thinking is ... Carl, paint! That's what painters do.

So thanks to that little encouragement, and some good recommended listening music I'm forcing myself to finish this. Hopefully it breaks me out of this silly malaise!
 "Eye of the Beholder", Oil on Canvas, 20cm x 20cm x 4cm.

You know what? I think it's working. :)

Carl is:
Listening to Dido off No Angel right at this moment.
Watching no TV at the moment.
Reading Living the Cross Centered Life: Keeping the Gospel the Main Thing again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

some yellow instead of blue makes for a completely softer look

Carl said...

More of these then?

Anonymous said...

my apologies "a lighter look"!!! hey it's a change... change is good :)

Carl said...

Please don't apologise ... I understood what you meant ... I think ;)
...and I love hearing viewers opinions about what I do!

There is a 'reason' for the shift away from the blues and sriking colours to the muted umbers, ochres and siennas. Two reasons in fact. The one is a state of mind issue, the other a matter of influence.

Anonymous said...

all said i'm happy you never painted over it :)

Carl said...

Me too! :)