Oil on canvas
1.5m x .5m x 4cm
- Prime canvas.
- Sketch the planned layout on paper.
- Copy the sketch to canvas.
- Rework the pencil lines with diluted acrylic.
- Add basic detail to the acrylic "sketch".
- Block in the sketch with acrylic base to get the tonal values at foundation.
- Prime the canvas for oils with medium mixture (a mix of mineral turpentine and linseed oil).
- Begin 1st shadow layering with oils and dry.
- 2nd shadow layering with oils and dry.
- 3rd shadow layering with oils and dry.
- Detail layers, highlights ... and dry.
- Spot glazing certain areas and dry.
- Gel glazing.
- Ship to client. :o)
Because of all the drying that takes place I usually end up working on multiple canvases at once (between 2 and 6).
I'll tell you more about my processes in the next post if you are interested?
"Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one." Stella Adler