Portfolio Link

Should you be interested in viewing a more "formal" portfolio site, please visit: http://www.carlverster.com

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Medium? Oil and tears.

I have two quotes for you:
"Painting is just another way of keeping a diary." (Pablo Picasso)
"Once drinking deep of that divinest anguish, ... How could I seek the empty world again?" (Emily Bronte)
What is it about art and suffering that seems to make them such comfortable bedfellows? For me there is a definite relationship between my emotional state and my productivity as an artist. I have discovered that two emotions drive me to paint in particular ... love, and sorrow.
I have had my share of both. Love started me painting in earnest; inspired me and sustains my ongoing activity. Sorrow DRIVES me to paint. Without a canvas to drain that ever filling well I am sure I would have killed myself a long time ago. Some people go to counselling, I head to my studio.
And personal opinion ... the greater the love, the greater the anguish, the better the work. My art IS a diary. Granted, probably only I can read it, but there is not a painting I have done that I can't look at and not know exactly what I was feeling, thinking and going through at the time.

See if you can work it out from this obvious one. If you get this right, I'll graduate you to a zebra ... that'll keep you guessing! ;o)


... and seeing as I am in a quoting mood, I'll leave you with this.
"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures."(Henry Ward Beecher)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is still one of my favourite pieces... it probably shouldn't be as it seems to prevail much anxiety and trauma, but there is just so much to this painting that tends to draw me back...

Carl said...

I do consider this one of my best paintings. It IS painful to look at for me because it is so "raw", so open and transparent, and a little too honest! It feels like a self portrait of my soul. I get shocked reactions from people who know me when they see this and realise it is a self portrait ... a little like the way a person looks when they stumble in on someone doing something intimate ... like they've seen too much. I understand why. Most people tend to be embarassed in the face of another's uncivil emotion.
On a lighter note ...
Technically I like what I attained with lighting and translucency. It 'feels' like live flesh.
Thank you for commenting, and thank you for being drawn back to it.

Anonymous said...

to bare one's body is nothing compared to baring one's soul, makes for vunerability. Still an awesome piece - such honesty.